Wednesday, June 24, 2015

Five Hours At The Card Shop - The Angels

Yep, I got to spend five whole hours at the card shop.
Nothing like taking your sweet little time.  Time enough to even go though boxes of 1988 Topps looking for checklist cards.
That my friends is time well spent.

Here are just a few of the Angels I pulled.

2012 Panini Golden Age #120
Never seen these before.
There was about a three inch row of these I went through, not many ballplayers in there, fortunately this sole Tanana was to be found.
Jerry Remy for sure in the background.


2010 Topps Factory MLB All-Star Edition AS1-5
Didn't know about these Angels either.
Apparently a whole Topps set was dedicated to the All-Star game and stamped with the logo.
Interesting the Angels were the first 5 cards in the set, presumably because the game was played at Anaheim Stadium.
Also interesting that Jered Weaver, the only Angel in addition to Torii Hunter on the All-Star roster, didn't get a card in this set.


2009 Donruss Elite Extra Edition #6
2014 Bowman Draft Duel Draftees DD-NH
Both are good designs to get autographed.


2015 Diamond Kings #53 & #99
First time I had seen these too.
Quite a day of revelations at the ol' LCS.
I love Diamond Kings, I'm sure there are more Angels in this set probably at least trout and Pujols.


2009 Upper Deck Sweet Spot #98
Raised ball stitching, I get all giddy about cards with raised ball stitching.


1991 Topps Stadium Club #81
An awesome example of a printing error.  You can see on the top card how the gold foil is badly misaligned by comparison to the correct card below.  Finley's name gets a strike-through, or for you crossword puzzlers a "dele".


2008 Playoff Prime Cuts #147, 070/249
Picked out a couple Angels autographs in the $3 bin.
Rolando Gomez didn't make it to the Big Angels in 7 years, he's in independent ball now.


2008 Donruss Threads #123, 198/999
Tobin signed with the Angels in 2007, kicked around the Angels system till 2009, made it in to four games in the Bigs with the Rangers in 2011, went to the Giants organization, and the Rangers recently signed him again.


1971 Topps #442
Thats a beauty of a mis-cut, I just wish it were in a little better shape.
I'm assuming that's the white border of the sheet on the left.
That makes it even cooler.


Up next: The other stuff.


5 comments:

  1. Really like that Golden Age design - nice miscuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've never spent 5 hours looking at cards ever. That's stamina -- and good fortune.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. Five hours is impressive. I've spent close to five hours at a show... but it's usually hanging out at a friend's table talkin' cards. I think the longest I've been in a card shop as a customer is probably 15 to 30 minutes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like an awesome time. I need to get back over there someday soon. Been picking up bobbleheads recently though so the stash is down.

    ReplyDelete